GEOG Seminar Series
The Department of Geographical Sciences' seminars take place on Thursdays from 4-5 p.m. in 1158 LeFrak Hall. Meet & Greet sessions with seminar speakers take place from 3:30-4:00 pm. Light refreshments are offered, but in an effort to "Go Green," please bring your own cup or mug for beverages!
Fall 2017 Seminars
- 9/28/17: Dr. Hanan Samet; Distinguished University Professor of Computer Science, University of Maryland. Seminar title: "Reading News with Maps by Exploiting Spatial Synonyms."
- 10/5/17: Dr. Ben Poulter; Research Scientist in the Biospheric Sciences Laboratory at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Seminar title: "Recent insights into trends and variability of the terrestrial carbon cycle."
- 10/12/17: Dr. Andrew Elmore, Associate Professor University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science. Seminar Title: “From the mountains to the sea: New insights into mid-Atlantic forest and stream response to climate change.”
- 11/2/17: Dr. Chris Schmullius; Professor at Friedrich-Schiller-Universitat (FSU), Geoinformatik und Fernerkundung
Institut fur Geographie. Seminar Title: "The ESA GlobBiomass Project - Estimates of Biomass on a Global Scale"
- 11/9/17: Rachel Levine; GIS Operations and Training Coordinator at American Red Cross. Seminar Title: "Missing Maps."
- 11/16/17: Dr. Michael Ek; Deputy Director Research Meteorologist, Land-Hydrology Team Leader Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). Seminar Title: TBD.
- 11/30/17: Dr. Sergii Skakun; Assistant Research Professor Department of Geographical Sciences, University of Maryland. Seminar Title: "Machine Learning and Remote Sensing - what's going on?"