Jonathan earned his Ph.D. at Virginia Tech in Biological Systems Engineering. During his time at Virginia Tech, he worked on multiple projects related to spatial modeling and remote sensing, in particular problems that involve agricultural and environmental systems. His dissertation involved applying ground-based lidar to various ecological applications. After completing his Ph.D. he worked as a post-doc for the USDA-ARS in Beltsville in the Crop Systems and Global Change Lab, doing research related to simulating the potential production capacity of crops within regional food systems using a geospatial crop model. Jonathan received his undergraduate degrees at the University of Maryland, College Park in Biological Resources Engineering and Computer Science.
- Resop, J. P., L. Lehmann, and W. C. Hession. April 2019. "Drone Laser Scanning for Modeling Riverscape Topography and Vegetation: Comparison with Traditional Aerial Lidar." Drones. 3(2): 35.
- Resop, J. P., D. H. Fleisher, D. J. Timlin, D. Mutiibwa, and V. R. Reddy. December 2016. "Climate, Water Management, and Land Use: Estimating Potential Potato and Corn Production in the U.S. Northeastern Seaboard Region." Transactions of the ASABE. 59(6):1539-1553.
- Resop, J. P., W. C. Hession, and T. M. Wynn. July 2014. "Quantifying the Parameter Uncertainty in the Cross-sectional Dimensions for a Stream Restoration Design of a Gravel-bed Stream." Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(4):306-315.
- Resop, J. P., D. H. Fleisher, D. J. Timlin, and V. R. Reddy. January 2014. "Biophysical Constraints to Potential Production Capacity of Potato across the U.S. Eastern Seaboard Region." Agronomy Journal. 106(1):43-56.
- Resop, J. P., D. H. Fleisher, Q. Wang, D. J. Timlin, and V. R. Reddy. November 2012. "Combining Explanatory Crop Models with Geospatial Data for Regional Analyses of Crop Yield using Field-scale Modeling Units." Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 89(1):51-61.
- Resop, J. P., J. L. Kozarek, and W. C. Hession. April 2012. "Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Delineating In-stream Boulders and Quantifying Habitat Complexity Measures." Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. 78(4):363-371.
- Resop, J. P., J. S. Cundiff, and C. D. Heatwole. February 2011. "Spatial Analysis to Site Satellite Storage Locations for Herbaceous Biomass in the Piedmont of the Southeast." Applied Engineering in Agriculture. 27(1):25-32.
- Resop, J. P. and W. C. Hession. October 2010. "Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Monitoring Streambank Retreat: Comparison with Traditional Surveying Techniques." Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. 136(10):794-798.
Areas of Interest
- Environmental, Hydrological, Agricultural, and Ecological Systems
- Lidar Remote Sensing (Terrestrial and Drone-based)
- Water Resources Engineering and Ecological Engineering
- Modeling and Simulation
- Stream Restoration Design
- Uncertainty Analysis
Degree TypePhDDegree DetailsBiological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, 2010
Degree TypeMSDegree DetailsBiological Resources Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2006
Degree TypeBSDegree DetailsComputer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, 2004
Degree TypeBSDegree DetailsBiological Resources Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2004
|Course Name||Course Title||Semester||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Spring 2018||Syllabus|
|GEOG797||Capstone - Professional Project||Spring 2018||Syllabus|
|GEOG656||Programming and Scripting for GIS||Winter 2018||Syllabus|
|GEOG788G||Advanced Remote Sensing using Lidar||Winter 2018||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Fall 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG797||Capstone - Professional Project||Fall 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG797||Capstone - Professional Project||Spring 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG579C||Introduction to Computer Programming||Summer 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG656||Programming and Scripting for GIS||Summer 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG788G||Advanced Remote Sensing using Lidar||Winter 2017||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Fall 2016||Syllabus|
|GEOG650||MOBILE GIS||Fall 2016||Syllabus|
|GEOG606||Quantitative Spatial Analysis||Spring 2016||Syllabus|
|GEOG797||Capstone - Professional Project||Spring 2016||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|GEOG650||MOBILE GIS||Fall 2015||Syllabus|
|GEOG797||Capstone - Professional Project||Spring 2015||Syllabus|
|GEOG788G||Advanced Remote Sensing using Lidar||Winter 2015||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Fall 2014||Syllabus|
|GEOG650||MOBILE GIS||Fall 2014||Syllabus|
|GEOG579C||Introduction to Computer Programming||Summer 2014||Syllabus|
|GEOG656||Programming and Scripting for GIS||Summer 2014||Syllabus|
|GEOG653||Spatial Analysis||Spring 2014||Syllabus|
|GEOG788G||Advanced Remote Sensing using Lidar||Winter 2013||Syllabus|
|GEOG654||GIS and Spatial Modeling||Fall 2013||Syllabus|