The Department of Geographical Sciences offers a one-semester internship program for undergraduates. Students can earn a total of three credits by signing up for GEOG384 after securing an internship. Students are responsible for finding their own internships and can pursue a wide variety of opportunities in the public private and non-profit sectors. Internships may be on-or off-campus, paid or unpaid.
To enroll in GEOG384, download the Application and GEOG384 syllabus on the Advising Forms page (scroll down to Special Courses Forms). Follow the "Steps to get Internship Credits" detailed below.
Steps to get Internship Credits
- Secure an internship. Be sure to keep an eye on the geog-undergrad listserv, GEOG Blog, and Careers4Terps for opportunities!
- Download the current semester's Application Packet from the Advising Forms page.
- Obtain your Host Agency Supervisor's Signature on the "Letter of Agreement" Form.
- Bring Letter of Agreement (signed by your Host Agency Supervisor!) to the Geographical Sciences Advising Office (LEF 1149) during the schedule adjustment period for the semester in which you intend to enroll in GEOG384/5.
- Enroll in GEOG384/5 via Testudo.
- Send Letter of Agreement (signed by your Host Agency Supervisor and Academic Advisor!) to the Dr. Keith Yearwood (kyearwoo [at] umd.edu).
- Complete all assignments as detailed in the Internship Application Packet and as discussed with the Internship Professor.
- NASA Develop
- Mitre Corporation
- Facilities Management - Campus GIS
- Shuttle UM
- US Census
- See the attached Internship List PDF for more options!
For more information on internships and the University of Maryland visit: