Assistantships and Fellowships
Teaching Assistantships (TA) and Research Assistantships (RA) are available for Ph.D. students:
- Salary range: $20,602 (start) to $21,633 for 9.5 month assignments (of June 2017). Tuition remission is also included, worth up to $21,088 (10 credits per semester). Health care benefits are also included, with insurance subsidies worth approximately $6,677 (individual) and $15,965 (family) based on the insurance level selected. Hourly summer employment is available in some cases, and pays up to $23.45 per hour.
- Assistant duties are 20 hours per week for a full time TA or RA. Renewal for a second year and subsequent years are contingent on the availability of funds, job performance and evaluation, meeting academic benchmarks outlined in the Department's Ph.D. Handbooks, and maintaining a 3.0 GPA or better.
- The Department selects and recommends applicants for College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Dean's Fellowships based on academic achievement. Dean's fellows typically receive $5,000 - $10,000 of stipend per academic year, and up to five credits of tuition remission per semester.
- The Department selects and recommends to the Graduate School up to two candidates for the University of Maryland Flagship Fellowship during each application cycle. Flagship Fellowships are multi-year enhancement awards to be added to fellowship/assistantship offers made by graduate programs and may total $50,000 per student over the duration of the award. Each year, the Graduate School welcomes approximately 10 outstanding Flagship Fellows.
Graduate School Fellowships and Awards:
- Once you are enrolled in a UMD Graduate Program, you are eligible for several Graduate School Fellowships and Awards. The application process for these fellowships and awards typically spans from February to April each academic year. Your advisor and the Department's Graduate Director nominate several students each year to the Graduate School for award and fellowship consideration.
Graduate School Policies on Assistantship and Fellowships: