Donal is a climber, cook, friend, dog-uncle, NSF graduate research fellow, and PhD student at the University of Maryland - College Park. His research interests include remote sensing of natural resources, computer automation of geoprocessing tasks, and modeling of ecosystem dynamics and carbon cycling. When he isn't working on his dissertation he is probably thinking about his dissertation, or maybe playing in the woods.
More information about Donal can be found on his website: www.DonalOleary.com
O’Leary, D., Bloom, T., Smith, J., Zempf, C. and Medler, M. J.: A new method comparing snowmelt timing with annual area burned, Fire Ecol., 12(1), 41–51, doi:10.4996/fireecology.1201041, 2016.
O’Leary, D. S., Kellermann, J. L. and Wayne, C.: Snowmelt timing, phenology, and growing season length in conifer forests of Crater Lake National Park, USA, Int. J. Biometeorol., 1–13, doi:10.1007/s00484-017-1449-3, 2017a.
O’Leary, D. S., Hall, D. K., Medler, M. J., Matthews, R. A. and Flower, A.: Snowmelt Timing Maps Derived from MODIS for North America, 2001-2015, Oak Ridge Natl. Lab., doi:https://doi.org/10.3334/ORNLDAAC/1504, 2017b.
- Remote Sensing
- Snowmelt Timing
- Computer Languages
- Mountain Ecosystems
- Latin America
- MS Geography - Western Washington University
- BS Watershed Science (Minor in Geospatial Information Management) - Colorado State University
- 2017 Graduate Research Fellow - National Science Foundation
- 2016 Outstanding Graduate, Geography Department - Western Washington University
- 2015 Young Leaders in Climate Change Fellow - National Park Service
- 2013 Magna Cum Laude - Colorado State Univeristy
- 2012 Outstanding Staff Member in Support of the Volunteer Office - Rocky Mountain National Park
- 2011 Dave Cole Scholarship - Big Thompson Watershed Forum
- 2004 Physics All American - American Physical Society
- 2004 Michigan Math Prize - Mathematical Association of America
- 2017 Outstanding Student Paper Award - AGU Fall 2017 https://membership.agu.org/ospawinner/donal-oleary/
- 2017 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting
- 2017 George Wright Society
- 2015 Association for Fire Ecology Congress