Rachel is currently a PhD student in Geographical Sciences and Flagship Fellow at the University of Maryland, College Park. Through her research, Rachel is exploring how climate change governance can better reflect the complex, non-linear and dynamic nature of social-ecological systems. In particular, her work focuses on the socio-economic applications of NASA carbon monitoring products to advance climate policy in the land-use sector.
As part of her professional development, Rachel has worked for numerous agencies and organizations, including the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, A Rocha Peru, National Socio-Ecological Synthesis Research Center (SESYNC), Society for Conservation Biology, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. During the summers, she teaches Environmental Law and Policy and Land Resources Policy at the Au Sable Institute of Environmental Studies in Michigan as an Assistant Professor. Prior to beginning this program, Rachel served as Y.E.C.A.’s National Organizer and Spokesperson and has been a part of the organization since its inception, serving two years as Chair of the Steering Committee.
In 2015, Rachel was named a White House Champion of Change for her efforts in protecting our environment and communities from the effects of climate change.
- coupled human-natural systems
- climate governance
- conservation and development
- MS Sustainable Development & Conservation Biology, University of Maryland, College Park
- MPP Public Policy, University of Maryland, College Park
- BA International Relations, Wheaton College (IL)
- BS Environmental Studies, Wheaton College (IL)
- 2016 University of Maryland Flagship Fellowship
- 2016 Behavioral and Social Sciences Dean's Fellowship
- 2017 SESYNC Graduate Student Research Fellowship (supported Graduate Pursuit 2017-2019)
- 2018 Harvey Fellowship, Mustard Seed Foundation
- 2018 Outstanding Graduate Student Government Assembly Member Award
- 2018 Best Student Presentation Award, 1st Place, Landscape Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers
- 2018 Enlightening Talk Competition, 1st place, College of Behavioral and Social Sciences (BSOS), University of Maryland, College Park
- 2017 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Annual Meeting - Poster Presentation
- 2017 National Socio-Enviornmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), Graduate Student Workshop on Socio-Environmental Synthesis - Accepted Applicant
- 2017 American Association of Geographers (AAG), Middle Atlantic Division Meeting - Paper Presentation
- 2018 American Association of Geographers (AAG), Annual Meeting - Paper Presentation
- 2018 International Association for Great Lakes Research (IAGLR), Annual Conference - Paper Presentation (Accepted), SESYNC Graduate Pursuit Research Team
- 2018 Sunbelt Conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis - Paper Presentation (Accepted), SESYNC Graduate Pursuit Research Team
Department of Geographical Sciences