Joseph Owen Sexton
Associate Research Professor
Before joining the University of Maryland Department of Geography in July, 2010, I was a postdoctoral research associate at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center Biospheric Sciences Branch, employed through the University of Maryland Baltimore County's GEST program (2009-2010).
- ecosystem dynamics
- vegetation succession
- urbanization and pastoralization
- land-use change
- species distributions
- multi-temporal and structural imaging
- Ph.D Ecology, Duke University (2009)
- MS Forest Resources, Utah State University (2003)
- BS Wildlife Ecology & Conservation, University of Florida (1999)
- Song, X.P., Sexton, J.O., Huang, C., Channan, S. & Townshend, J.R. (2016) Characterizing the magnitude, timing and duration of urban growth from time series of Landsat-based estimates of impervious cover, Remote Sensing of Environment, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2015.12.027. URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0034425715302480
- Feng, M., J.O. Sexton, C. Huang, J.G. Masek, E.F. Vermote, F. Gao, R. Narasimhan, S. Channan, R.E. Wolfe, J.R. Townshend. 2013. Global, long-term surface reflectance records from Landsat: a comparison of the Global Land Survey and MODIS reflectance datasets. Remote Sensing of Environment 134:276-293
- Sexton, J.O., X.-P. Song, M. Feng, P. Noojipady, A. Anand, C. Huang, D.-H. Kim, K.M. Collins, S. Channan, C. DiMiceli, J.R. Townshend. 2013. Global, 30-m resolution continuous fields of tree cover: Landsat-based rescaling of MODIS continuous fields and lidar-based estimates of error. International Journal of Digital Earth 6(5): 427-448.
- Townshend, J.R., J.G. Masek, C. Huang, E.F. Vermote, F. Gao, S. Channan, J.O. Sexton, M. Feng., R. Narasimhan, D.-H. Kim, K. Song, D. Song, X. Song, P. Noojipady, B. Tan, M.C. Hansen, M. Li, R. Wolfe. 2012. Global characterization and monitoring of forestcover using Landsat data: opportunities and challenges. International Journal of Digital Earth 5:373-397.