Peter V. Potapov
Research Associate Professor
Peter Potapov started his career in remote sensing data analysis in 1998 working on forest monitoring projects in Greenpeace (Russian office). He took part on developing of a rapid and straightforward method for mapping and monitoring forest degradation using Intact Forest Landscapes (IFL) method. During 2005-2006, he has headed the World Intact Forest Landscapes mapping group which produced the first global IFL map. This product is freely available online and has been used in regional and global forest monitoring projects, nature conservation campaigns and scientific research. During recent years, Peter’s research has focused on establishing a global operational forest monitoring algorithm that enables rapid quantitative estimation of gross forest cover loss and gain. He participated in a NASA-sponsored research project for global forest cover monitoring for 2000-2005 using integration of MODIS time-series and Landsat sampling data. Currently, he is working on global Landsat-based forest monitoring project. The first national-scale results of this project (Central Africa, European Russia) have been published recently.
- MS Moscow State University, 2000
- Ph.D Russian Academy of Science, 2005
- Song, X.P., Potapov, P.V., Krylov, A., King, L., Di Bella, C.M., Hudson, A., Khan, A., Adusei, B., Stehman, S.V. and Hansen, M.C., 2017. National-scale soybean mapping and area estimation in the United States using medium resolution satellite imagery and field survey. Remote Sensing of Environment, 190, pp.383-395.
- Hansen M.C., Potapov P.V., Moore R., Hancher M., Turubanova S.A., Tyukavina A., Thau D., Stehman S.V., Goetz S.J., Loveland T. R., Kommareddy A., Egorov A., Chini L., Justice C.O., Townshend J.R.G. (2013) High-Resolution Global Maps of 21st-Century ForestCover Change. Science 342(6160) pp. 850-853 DOI: 10.1126/science.1244693
- Tyukavina A., Stehman S.V., Potapov P.V., Turubanova S.A., Baccini A., Goetz S.J., Laporte N.T., Houghton R.A., Hansen M.C. (2013) National-scale estimation of gross forest aboveground carbon loss: a case study of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Environmental Research Letters 8(2013) 044039 (14pp) DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/8/4/044039
- Potapov P., A. Yaroshenko, S. Turubanova, M. Dubinin, L. Laestadius, C. Thies, D. Aksenov, A. Egorov, Y. Yesipova, I. Glushkov, M. Karpachevskiy, A. Kostikova, A. Manisha, E. Tsybikova, and I. Zhuravleva. 2008. Mapping the World’s Intact Forest Landscapesby Remote Sensing. Ecology and Society, 13 (2) URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol13/iss2/art51/
Department of Geographical Sciences