Professor & Dept. Chairman
Chris Justice received his Ph.D. from the University of Reading, United Kingdom, in 1977. In 2001 he became a Professor and Research Director of Geography at the University of Maryland, and in 2010, became the Department Chair (to the renamed Department of Geographical Sciences). Currently, Dr. Justice is a Program Scientist for NASA's Land Cover Land Use Change (LCLUC) Program. He is a member of the NASA Moderate Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Science Team and is responsible for the MODIS Fire Product. Justice is Co-Chair of the NASA LANCE User Working Group and a member of the NASA Soumi-NPP VIIRS Science Team. He is Co-Chair of the international GOFC/GOLD-Fire Implementation Team, a project of the Global Terrestrial Observing System (GTOS). Dr. Justice is a member of USAID's Central Africa Regional Project for the Environment Program and is the Global Implementation Lead for the GEO Global Agricultural Monitoring Task. Most recently, he became the Co-Director for the Center for Global Agricultural Monitoring Research. Dr. Justice's current research is on land cover and land use change, the extent and impacts of global fire, global agricultural monitoring, and their associated information technology and decision support systems.
- Global Change Research
- Land Use and Land Cover Change
- Satellite-based Agricultural Monitoring
- Satellite-based Fire Monitoring
- Terrestrial Observing Systems/Remote Sensing
- Ph.D Geography, Reading University, UK, 1977
- BA Honors Geography, Reading University, UK 1973
- Skakun S. , Roger J.-C. , Vermote E.F. , Masek J.G. & Justice C.O. (2017):Automatic sub-pixel co-registration of Landsat-8 Operational Land Imager and Sentinel-2A Multi-Spectral Instrument images using phase correlation and machine learning based mapping. International Journal of Digital Earth, doi:10.1080/17538947.2017.1304586
- Skakun, S., Franch, B., Vermote, E., Roger, J.-C. Becker-Reshef, I., Justice, C., Kussul, N. (2017). Early season large-area winter crop mapping using MODIS NDVI data, growing degree days information and a Gaussian mixture model.Remote Sensing of Environment, 195, 244–258. doi:10.1016/j.rse.2017.04.026
- C Justice, MO Roman, I Csiszar, EF Vermote, RE Wolfe, SJ Hook, M Friedl, Z Wang, CB Schaaf, T Miura, M Tschudi, G Riggs, DK Hall, AI Lyapustin, S Devadiga, C Davidson, EJ Masuoka. "Land and cryosphere products from Suomi NPP VIIRS: Overview and status." Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. Sep 1, 2013.
- Hansen M.C., Potapov P.V., Moore R., Hancher M., Turubanova S.A., Tyukavina A., Thau D., Stehman S.V., Goetz S.J., Loveland T. R., Kommareddy A., Egorov A., Chini L., Justice C.O., Townshend J.R.G. (2013) High-Resolution Global Maps of 21st-Century ForestCover Change. Science 342(6160) pp. 850-853 DOI: 10.1126/science.1244693
- Krishna Prasad Vadrevu., and Chris Justice. 2011.Vegetation Fires in the Asian Region – Satellite Observational Needs and Priorities. Invited article by the Ministry of Environment, Japan for special issue on "Biomass burning and its impacts on Earth's environment." Global Environmental Research. (15)45-52.
|International||Global Implementation Lead, GEO Agricultural Monitoring Task|
|International||Co-Chair GOFC GOLD Fire Implementation Team|
|National||Co-Chair NASA LANCE User Working Group|
|National||NASA Land Cover Land Use Change Program Scientist|
|National||Land Discipline Leader, NASA VIIRS Science Team|
|International||Co-Director, Center for Global Agricultural Monitoring Research|
Department of Geographical Sciences