Geography, GIS, and ENSP-Land Use/Coastal/Global concentrations:
Every Fall and Spring you will notice a Departmental Advising Block on your registration for the upcoming semester (there are no Departmental blocks for Winter/Summer). This mandatory process must be completed each semester in order to register for the upcoming semester. This policy is intended to enhance your relationships with departmental professors. Such relationships are essential for letters of recommendation for graduate school, internship and job applications, and are of great benefit to future career and academic plans.
We recommend you begin this process at least 2 weeks prior to your registration date, so you have ample time to complete the above-listed steps. A past or fast approaching registration date will not waive this policy. In order to have your block removed you must complete the following actions:
To be completed ONCE every academic year:
- Download the Faculty Mentoring Form from the Advising Forms page.
- Meet with your faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor is NOT the same as your academic advisor (Dr. Luna or Ms. Hoffman-Hall) and should have been assigned to you via e-mail the first few weeks of the semester. If you are unsure who your faculty advisor is please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discuss career, graduate school, or any other goals or thoughts you have pertaining to your major/the field of Geography with your faculty advisor. Faculty advisors do not have access to your graduation requirements or transcripts. They are not expected to advise you on your course schedule.
- Drop your completed Faculty Mentoring form off to the Geographical Sciences advising office (2181M LeFrak Hall).
To be completed EVERY Fall/Spring semester:
- Visit the Geographical Sciences Advising Office (2181M).
- Discuss your graduation requirements and course schedule with academic advisors Dr. Ronald Luna or Amanda Hoffman-Hall.
- If it is the Fall semester and you have turned in your Faculty Mentoring form, your block will be lifted after meeting with an academic advisor.
- If it is the Fall semester and you have not turned in your Faculty Mentoring form, your block will be lifted after meeting with an academic advisor, but you will be expected to meet with a faculty advisor in the Spring.
- If it is the Spring semester, and you turned in your Faculty Mentoring form in the Fall, you do not need to meet with your faculty advisor again and your block will be lifted after meeting with an academic advisor.
- If it is the Spring semester, and you met your faculty advisor and turned your Faculty Mentoring form earlier in the Spring semester, your block will be lifted after meeting with an academic advisor.
- If it is the Spring semester, and you have not turned in your Faculty Mentoring form in the Fall OR Spring, your block will remain in place until you meet with a Faculty Advisor AND Academic Advisor.
Any questions regarding this policy may be directed to email@example.com.